JUNE NEWSLETTER 2018
Hi there Swannies,
Winter is finally here! Make sure you check the weather forecast before going for a paddle and dress accordingly, we don’t want anyone getting sick or hurt out on the water. We have some very exciting events coming up, such as the Annual General Meeting, so please read on to find out more.
- SCC Guided Paddle – Saturday, June 2nd
- Junior Fundraiser Come & Try/Movie night – Saturday, June 2nd, 15:00
- Peel Paddle 50 – Sunday, June 3rd
- Dry induction – Tuesday, June 5th
- Middle Swan Marathon Race – Sunday, June 10th
- Matilda Bay Paddle – Sunday, June 10th
- Wet induction – Tuesday, June 12th
- Wildwater Drains Race – Sunday, June 17th
- Intro to Whitewater – Sunday, June 17th
- Intro to Kayaking – Sunday, June 24th
- Brevis Choate Memorial Race – Sunday, June 24th
- Moonlight Paddle – Thursday, June 28th
- Intro to Whitewater – Saturday, June 30th
- SCC AGM – Thursday, 21st June
Come down on Friday nights for race training. Sessions range anywhere from 3km – 18km. All are welcome, so make sure to get in contact with Andrew on 0400944818
Have your say!
Make sure you don’t miss this year’s AGM! Please don’t hesitate to contact admin to find out more.
Our Oustanding Junior Competitors
Alexandria and Jack Choate are the only West Australian members of the Canoe Slalom Junior Team selected to represent Australia in the 2018 Junior and U23 Canoe Slalom World Championships held in Italy later this year.
Alexandria is 17 years old and has been coached by Zlatan Ibrahimbegovic at Swan Canoe Club since 2010. Alexandria has competed for Australia in Canoe Slalom, paddling canoe and kayak in New Zealand, Japan, Germany, Poland and Slovakia over the last three years.
“I was also selected for this team last year, where I made it to the semi-finals in C1 (Canoe Single). This year I hope to make it further and bring the best I’ve got to this competition.”
Jack at 15 years of age is the youngest athlete selected onto the national junior team and is also coached by Zlatan Ibrahimbegovic.
“This year’s ICF Canoe Slalom Junior World Championships will be my first major international competition, and the first step on my path towards furthering my paddling career. I am proud to have performed at a high enough level at the Australian Junior Team Selection to be selected for both canoe (C1) and kayak (K1). I am currently working hard to perform at that same high level again at the pinnacle event in Ivrea, Italy.”
To assist with the costs of training, travelling and competing as part of the Australian Junior Team, Alexandria and Jack are holding a Fundraising Event on June 2nd2018.
This will consist of :
3 pm “Come and Try” paddling with the Australian Junior Team athletes – $5 per person
4:30 pm BBQ dinner for sale with videos of slalom training, past world cups and championships,
6 pm Movie Night: Blue the Film (rated PG) – a provocative journey into the ocean realm highlights a critical moment in time when the marine world is on a precipice- no admission charge, donations welcome, popcorn and snacks for sale.
If interested in attending please contact: email@example.com
Tax Deductible donations to Alexandria and Jack can be made here:
Information about Swan Canoe Club’s junior classes can be obtained by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photo Credit: Kylie Wilson
Saturday, June 24th, 2018
This course is designed for people who are new to kayaking. It will provide information on:
What to wear when kayaking
Safety awareness when kayaking
Different types of kayak design
Different types fo paddles
It will provide instruction on how to:
Determine the correct length of a paddle
Hold a paddle
Life and carry a kayak
Get in and out of a kayak
Launch and land a kayak
Adopt the correct sitting position while kayaking
Raft up with other kayakers
Turn a kayak
Stop a kayaking in an emergency
Use the paddle to brace to help prevent a capsize
Manoeuvre the kayak sideways
Capsize and self-rescue.
Boat Hire Rules
- Only SCC members may hire boats.
- Only plastic boats are available for hire. Composite (fibreglass/carbon/kevlar) boats are too easily damaged to hire out.
- You need to have both roof racks and kayak cradles to transport the boat.
If you don’t have these, you will either need to ask to arrange the appropriate transport or purchase them before hiring. The boats get quite badly damaged when carried without cradles.
- You pay for the number of days you use the boat so that if you pick it up a day before, you don’t need to pay for that day. However, this leniency is really only for transport days and it is not intended that you hold on to the boat for any length of time when it is not in use.
- The cost is $30 per day. This includes hire of a PFD and paddle.
- You can pay an extra $10 per boat per day for a spray deck. Please be careful to try these on the boat before you leave the club, as boats have differing sized cockpits and you have to size the spray deck to the boat.
- When paying for the boat/equipment hire, the preferred method of payment is by direct transfer, the boat hire officer will give you the details on enquiry. It can also be done by credit card or PayPal.
- Please check that the boat is in working order before leaving the club. If there it is damaged or unusable please inform the boat space officer straight away and arrange another craft.
- Please fill in the Craft Usage Logbook when removing the boat from the Clubrooms.
- If the boat is damaged in any way while in your care, please let the Admin know what has happened. We can then get them repaired promptly.
You also need to fill out the REPAIRS LOG BOOK on the desk near the Club front door documenting the required repairs, and if the boat is unpaddlable please attach a REPAIRS REQUIRED tag to the stern (tags are in the desk drawer).
- Damaged boats that are left unreported can be a hazard for the next paddler. If a boat is damaged beyond repair, it may need to be replaced by you at the cost of an equivalent new model.
- Please be sure to keep spray decks, paddles, life-jackets and pod-covers inside the car when travelling. They are notorious for flying out of canoes if they are stored in or on them when driving.
- Lost items will need to be paid for at the cost of an equivalent, new replacement.
Contact Admin at email@example.com
If you have any stories you would like to submit, send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
The upstairs area will be unavailable for members on these dates:
- Saturday, June 2nd – 15:00 – late
- Saturday, June 9th – 17:30 – late
For those of you with boat-spaces, please ensure that your name and number is visible on your craft, and please return the new terms of agreement form!